Thursday 16 February 2012

Things Looking Rosy in Rosario

With language-learning the priority, I´ve been looking to find opportunities to work and spend some time more fully immersed. With that in mind, I signed up to a website listing a number of voluntary jobs, offering free food and board in return for a few days´ work a week. I applied to a number of things, including construction work in Bolivia, hospitality work in Chile and a hostel job in Rosario. I hadn´t heard from the latter before I arrived here, and, having not found a couch to crash on, headed straight for hostelworld to find a bed for the night. Lo and behold, the description for one of the hostels matched the tone of the advert, and a browse through the pictures showed they were indeed the same place.
After my schlep through town, I therefore hastily changed into a relatively clean shirt and shifted into interview mode as I made my way through the door. I needn´t have bothered: the shaven-headed, sleeveless-shirted hulk on the other side was extremely friendly, and mention that I was looking for work was enough for me to be promised a meeting with the boss, Victor. That never really came, but a series of informal chats with Victor and the hulk (Brayan) established that I was indeed going to work here, and started this (Monday) evening.
 The place seems to be a cash-cow for a bunch of Brazilian students, who took over the place only in the last seven months and are still working out how best to make the place work. Victor has put on hold his architecture degree to run the hostel on a daily basis, and Brayan seems to be giving up on sleep in order to help out alongside his degree-studies in medicine. They´re the only two staff with any English; although with the extremely relaxed, convivial atmosphere within the hostel-cum-guesthouse I´ve still to work out which of the other people in the hostel are other staff, and those who are long-term guests.
Although conscious that I´ve traversed half the world to still be cleaning bogs; said atmosphere, the presence of a rooftop-terrace for stargazing, fresh croissants for breakfast and the prospect of full-on immersion meant that I spent the weekend trying to comprehend my luck. I´d been taken by Rosario´s looks from the start, with attractive houses and boulevards to go along with the usual collection of statues, monuments and churches. Possessing beaches and nearby islands (I´m still on the Paraná) to camp on, it´s going to be a difficult place to dislike.

Further affection for the city stems from the tremendous welcome I´ve received, thanks to a friend-of-a-friend back in England. She´d put me in touch with her twin cousins, who, together with their family, made my first few days in Rosario a delight. They´ve already shown me to several of the city sights, and invited me to accompany them on outings to the island on the family speedboat. Whilst the world´s widest river is not it´s prettiest, skipping across the murky green/brown (whatever) Paraná is still a pretty good way to begin an afternoon. On my first trip I was treated to a tour of the islands, with uncle and avid nature photographer Edgardo slowing the boat down to allow a better view of the magnificent white cranes and hawks perched on the river bank, and the strands of spider web held hanging over the water by the breeze. All very idyllic, until the uncle began to point out the ceibo, Argentina´s vivid red national flower, resplendent amongst the foliage. Cue “¿como se dice ´colourblind´ in castellano?”, and five minutes´ puttering along close to the riverbank and jabbing fingers at the trees. I was too embarrassed to admit that I was still none the wiser, but closer inspection reveals that it is indeed very pretty.
After patiently enduring a series of half-conversations (waiting for the idiot on the other side to work out what he wanted to say), the cousins must have been pretty relieved to let their chatterbox uncle take up some of the slack. Wandering up and down the beach with them, with Edgardo explaining (either in limited English or with drawings in the sand) the terms I´ve not understood, has allowed me to take part (however hesitatingly) in my first relatively long conversations. And begin to develop a zoological vocabulary in Spanish…
Having since been invited to interpose myself on other outings with the whole clan, I´ve now talked at and been patiently talked to by the boyfriends and grandparents as well. Their efforts have been a huge fillip (not that I needed it) to get on and learn, as well as to find other conversation partners to avoid putting the burden solely on them. Fortunately there is a sizeable couchsurfing community here, and my first encounter with several (at a language exchange meeting in a local bar) proved them to be very friendly. Have tentative arrangements to meet a couple more over a beer, and after a recent craving to play tennis I´ll hopefully meet one or two on court as well...
After several days searching I´ve also found some tuition on which to spend the money I´m saving on accommodation. Thanks to the local custom of closing for siesta for any number of hours between 12 and 5, wandering around looking for courses turned out to be a fairly ineffectual business. The tone was set by my first enquiry of the city´s public (free) university: it was only after walking the corridor past a series lectures that I realised I was in the science faculty. I was directed to the teaching office, where the very kind lady gave me details for the humanities department, but informed me that the little darlings needed their rest and were closed until the Monday. In the end I needn´t have bothered: word had got out amongst the friends of the hostel staff that a gringo was looking for a teacher. After a flurry of emails and another day walking round I returned to be introduced to trilingual Daniele, who lost her job when her company folded and is now looking to make a career out of teaching Portuguese and Spanish. Music to my ears was her Ecuadorian dialect, and that she was unwilling to charge me as much as the established schools. Pretty and cheap would probably have been enough (usual story), but that she offered the opportunity to be taught the sounds used by the majority of the Spanish-speaking world (with y and ll both pronounced as y rather than the sh of Argentinian caste-sh-ano) made it a done deal

So I now have a city and some sort of routine to settle into. Will reserve judgement until I´ve had a full day´s work (we´re pretty busy over carnaval weekend this week), but at the moment I´m thoroughly looking forward to spending a month here, if not longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment