Saturday 25 February 2012

Livin´ La Vida Rosa(rino)


Since the past week´s weather has alternated between stifling heat (even the locals were complaining) and thunderstorms, most of my exploration has been limited to nocturnal forays. Knowledge that I´m around for a wee while has also served to dampen enthusiasm for doing much more than sleep in before heading off to sit in a parque/plaza and read a book. Work here at Anamundana hostel has ended up being equally tranquilo: pretty much all cleaning is left to the woman who comes in every week (or more often we´ve been particularly busy), leaving only reception duties for the staff. My still-hesitant Spanish means that I´m pretty much babysat the whole time I´m working, and end up with precious little to actually do. Having to faff about for hours in return for free accommodation isn´t the end of the world (no bogs!), but feeling close to useless has been a bit frustrating. Things should improve – I´m gradually working out how the place works and hopefully will at least be able to help out with arriving English-speakers…

With my usual myopic level of perceptiveness, it had taken me nearly a week to realise that (i.e. dumbly ask if) being heterosexual puts me in a distinct minority amongst the hostel´s regular cast; although I had at least worked out that Brayan and Victor were a couple by the time the latter installed a new light, “alternating in the colours of the rainbow”, by the front door. Although I´m left mildly curious about exactly why I got the job, the friendly (without being too friendly…) couple have been great company, as have their set of girlfriends, who regularly drop by the hostel. So as well as working on my Spanish, I´m building up a vocabulary of Portuguese gay slang I´m not sure I´ll need, and giving the gaydar a fine-tuning that maybe I do:

Having noticed a pretty girl sitting by herself during the preliminary drinks for this weekend´s (see below) festivities, I´d duly done the decent thing and wandered over to say hello. Despite noticing the Venus symbol tattooed on her ankle, and her mentioning she´d been to the local gay bar the night before, the penny was still bouncing around when an Argentinian came over to help translate. The lass must have felt sorry for me, for after a brief conversation our interlocutor turned to me, said “we´re wasting our time here”, and walked off. The chaps here evidently don´t mess around: apparently “te quiero” (“I want you”) is a pretty standard line, and things get far sleazier. Given that a heavily English-accented “¡Hola! ¿como estás?” has thus far singularly failed to deliver the devastating results I´d been promised, more direct tactics may well be called for. Live to learn etc. With the latter point in mind; I resumed, undaunted by the raised eyebrow (“we can still talk, right?”), the conversation with my amiga lesbiana, and was taught the set of Argentinian pejoratives to go along with my Brasilian ones.

Rio´s festivities last weekend were the excuse for a four-day bank holiday/bender here in Argentina, and the cause of a fairly hectic weekend for us. The numbers arriving meant that Victor opened an equally swish overflow hostel; with most Argentinian guests staying in Anamundana, and the hen-party plus English-speaking guests plus yours truly put into the other. Going out with either set was a great deal of fun, and since no one here heads to the clubs before 2-3am (contrary to back home, where everyone´s kicked out by then) I´m still trying to catch up on sleep. Notable characters included the Chilean-born Australian guy who´s trying to visit as many Argentinian football stadiums as he can, the hen-party replete with bride-to-be in playboy-bunny outfit, and the nargila- (shisha-)toting bunch of Israelis.

From other travellers I´d heard a number of, mostly derogatory, reports on the ubiquity of the latter. They apparently flood Patagonia at this time of year after finishing their military service and spend their travels drinking and smoking whatever they can get their hands on. Having met one of their number, who´d come to Rosario to go skydiving and spent his three days waiting for a jump sitting in the hostel watching youtube videos (on the single computer) and playing on his phone, I´d begun to form a pretty dim view myself. That changed after a few beer and nargila-sessions with this crew; after which (although the pressures of being militarised so young under were only ever alluded to) it seemed churlish to begrudge them the opportunity to unwind. Whilst such a conversation, at that time of night, sounds every bit as bad an idea as Victor having left me in charge of the hostel (and fridge full of beer) from 3-6am while he got some sleep; the opportunity to discuss the Israel-Palestine situation with German Sanni and the group of 3 ex-´soldiers´ was a pretty unique one. It´s terrifying to hear from a group of pretty-much kids that ´stop or I shoot´ are the only words in Arabic that most Israelis know. But while they are aware of, and in some ways understand, the resounding criticism from around the world, questions remain about the breadth of perspective of the side firing rockets. Sanni´s acutely sensitive German viewpoint was an interesting contrast from the more or less standard anti-Israeli sentiment back home. Predictably, we closed a fortunately passion-free discussion without getting any closer to a solution.

With Rosario the birthplace of the Argentinian flag (as well as some itinerant Argentinian doctor), it´s impossible not to remain aware of another ongoing territorial dispute. The city´s spectacular monumento nacional a la bandera (particularly beautiful at night, when floodlit with the Argentinian tricolour) lies uncomfortably close (for me at least) to the monumento nacional a los caídos en Malvinas. A couple of people have mentioned the issue to me in passing, but fortunately none of the flag-burning, HSBC-smashing variety. Due to my own circumstances, the only Argentinians I´ve actually spoken to about the situation have been university-educated, English-speaking types, who can see both sides of the story and have some doubts about ´Christina´s´ motivations in pursuing the issue. As reported in the British press, there is an intellectual fringe that sympathise with the islanders´ perspective, and it will be interesting to see how the debate plays out against the tubthumping. This (another) bank holiday weekend promises a number of ceremonies commemorating the 200th anniversary of the flag, but hopefully no any significant increase in nationalist feeling. Although I´ll expect in any case to be out of the country by the beginning of April (and the beginning of commemorations of the war itself), thus far I´ve never felt remotely threatened, and the people have without exception been extremely friendly. I hope and indeed anticipate that that will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment