Tuesday 13 March 2012

Four Matches and a Wedding


Having a base and a guaranteed warm shower has provided a welcome opportunity to bring running back into the weekly routine.  Partly motivated by a desperate need to stave off the accumulation of beer, daily facturas (Argentinian pastries) and plentiful helpings of tasty Brasilian-cooked food; twilight jogs, along the riverside or the city´s boulevards, have been an excellent  means to watch Rosario wind down at the end of the day.

Through CouchSurfing I´ve also been able to add a weekly  5-a-side football game to the exercise regime, as well as some colourful new phrases to my Spanish vocabulary. Being good at football is a universal means by which to instantly establish respect within male company, and sadly it´s a competence that I lack (I blame my parents). I´ve usually relied on slightly superior speed or fitness to somewhat mask my mediocre skills, but two months of Christmas and standing by roadsides (too long for a week´s jogging to compensate for) have put paid to any of that. I realised this only when my first box-to-box run nearly brought me to my knees, and sadly it meant that language-exchange was to be a two-way affair. I couldn´t help noticing that Spanish invective tends to be four-worded rather than four-lettered, but it´s pretentious to wonder how much that is linked to respective paces of life...
That I don´t also know the Spanish for ´touch of a rapist/damp towel´ is therefore completely due to the genial tolerance of my team. You can´t help feeling you´re the weak link when your turn in goal coincides with five unanswered goals for your side, but apparently my performance wasn´t poor enough to be asked not to bother the next week. They´re a nice bunch of guys, and I was able to again enjoy running myself into the ground (and trebling my previous week´s goal count) on my return this week.
Though not useless enough to prevent my side winning on both occasions, I still felt the need to find some other way of establishing some sporting credentials. When one of the guys mentioned he played, and had a spare racket, I therefore leapt on the chance to have a go at some tennis. Fate contrived to ensure that, after a 6am return from a night out, and an 8am (well, closer to 9am) start for work, my attempt to salvage some British pride would be conducted on two hours´ sleep and whilst probably still drunk. Burning myself on the exhaust-pipe of my opponent´s motorbike (whilst dopily climbing off) was not the most auspicious of starts, but fortunately the hours spent on tennis courts rather than football pitches eventually did tell. The languorous bounce offered by the clay court certainly helped to get my eye back in; although after having only just been fully cleaned of the dirt from Misiones, my clothes are now once again ingrained with red dust. Having buzzed my hair in a vain attempt to cope with the heat I am no longer told I look like Andy Murray, and although I don´t play like him either our match still attracted the interest of the gents on the next court. Sadly I wasn´t able to recognise their comment ´´hay tenis acá´´ (´´there is tennis here´´) as a compliment rather than an observation, and replied with a confused ´´er, sí´´ and a shrug of the shoulders. Typical graceless Brit...

The gradual approach of my departure from Rosario (my train to Córdoba is booked for 20 March) has also prompted efforts to make sure I don´t miss out on anything before I go. I´ve therefore paid the duty 5-minute trip to the city´s art gallery (I find it hard to get excited by art here when I´m spoilt back home), seen a few more of the Paraná´s islands and cycled along the river bank to the bridge at the top of the city.  Hearing from a hostel-guest of Fisherton, ´the English barrio´, I decided I had to visit, and made the trip out to the edge of town. Initially separate from Rosario, the neighbourhood was built to house British railway-builders (led by one Henry Fisher) in the early 20th century, who helped set up Argentina´s (limited) rail network in times of a slightly happier Anglo-Argentine relations. A bizarre island of English-style architecture amongst the surrounding villas (Argentina´s favelas), the streets of big, expensive houses come complete with village green, oak trees, and a pretty church, and put me in mind of a Chigwell in 35degree heat.

Another legacy of British immigration is Rosario´s top division football team, Newell´s Old Boys, who´ve been a frequent source of childish amusement. Legendarily passionate Argentinian support means that their initials are graffitied on seemingly every unattended wall. It´s like being back home. Tales of the fervour of supporters here, with fences required to protect referee and players from the fans, have made going to a match another must-do while I´m here: will look forward to attending their next home game on Sunday.

Life within the hostel continues to entertain, most recently with the irreverent mock wedding of two of our long-term guests: the 18-year-old Uruguayan lesbians I´ve been sharing a dorm with. That´s not as fun as it sounds: it took me as long as working out the Brayan-Victor relationship to realise they were both girls, and the frequent public displays of affection have been nauseating. I had no idea what to expect of a sham lesbian wedding; but this particular affair, conducted on the hostel terrace, began with the brides walking up the aisle to ´Only Time´, kissing before the end of the vows (presided over by Victor), kissing again when ´permitted´; before a wedding reception that involved my consuming a good deal of malbec and dancing in a blonde wig with the cleaning lady. So all in all pretty good fun.

Thanks to the fun I´ve had with the hostel community, the Gonzalezes, and the assortment of sports/drinking buddies throughout Rosario, I´m going to be sad to leave this place. But although the language has improved, I´ve ended up speaking enough English to prevent this from being the full-on Spanish immersion that I´d hoped for. I´m therefore looking forward to being back on holiday again: heading on to another new city, and then from Córdoba into the surrounding hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment